News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Federal Street
Public Works - October 24, 2022
Construction on Federal Street has begun, with work currently focused on East Federal Street, between Champion Street and South Avenue. Excavation work is underway on street sections that are destined to become medians, bump-outs, and sidewalks. No water or sewer line replacement will be needed.
Construction on Federal Street, between Fifth Avenue and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, public transit, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity regions and brick inlays.
- Safety and aesthetic improvement to crosswalks.
- Landscaped medians on each block.
- Replacement of dangerous slant parking with limited parallel parking.
- Addition of several designated loading zones.
- Addition of several designated public transit stops.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.