News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Commerce Street
Public Works - September 30, 2022
Several unknown underground vaults were uncovered, during work on Commerce Street, delaying the overall construction progress. While these vaults are being properly capped and filled, curbing installation has begun, especially along East Commerce Street. Sidewalk, landscaped amenity strip, and lamp post work will commence, following the completion of the curbs.
Construction on Commerce Street, between Fifth Avenue and East Federal Street, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street), reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Sidewalk improvements (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street), including landscaped amenity strip separations.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Addition of limited parallel parking (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street - westbound only).
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.