Public Notice Details
Youngstown Mask Mandate
By: Jamael Tito Brown, Mayor
In conjunction with the Youngstown Board of Health
July 17, 2020
Duty to Wear Covid -19 Masks
Whereas, the State of Ohio authorizes Boards of Health throughout the state to "...make such orders and regulations as are necessary for the public health, the prevention or restriction of disease... " through Ohio Revised Code Section 3709.20 (A); and
Whereas, "In cases of emergency caused by epidemics of contagious or infectious diseases..." the State of Ohio further authorizes Boards of Health to "...declare such orders and regulations to be emergency measures, and such orders and regulations shall become effective immediately..." pursuant to ORC Section 3709.20 (a); and
Whereas, COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that can result in serious illness or death and can easily be spread from person to person; and
Whereas, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the universal use of face coverings in public; and
Whereas, Ohio Governor Mike De Wine declared a State of Emergency for the entire state to protect the well-being of citizens; and
Whereas, across the nation, the pandemic is increasing as the number of COVID-19 tests are increasing at a dramatic rate; so
Therefore, the Youngstown Board of Health orders the use of personal protective gear by everyone over the age of six (6) whenever in public in the city of Youngstown, Ohio until further notice.
- For purposes of this Executive Order:
- "Face Covering" means a covering of the nose and mouth that is secured to the head with ties, straps, or loops over the ears or is simply wrapped around the lower face. A Face Covering can be made of a variety of synthetic and natural fabrics, including cotton, silk, or linen. These Face Coverings are not intended for use by healthcare providers in the care of patients.
- Where Face Coverings are required: All individuals are required to wear face coverings in indoor areas accessible to the public and within the confines of public or private business transportation, unless otherwise exempted, as follows:
- In Retail Businesses. Retail Businesses must have all workers wear Face Coverings when they are or may be within six (6) feet of another person. In addition, Retail Businesses must require that all customers wear Face Coverings when they are inside the establishment and may be within six (6) feet of another person, unless the customer states an exception applies.
- In Restaurants and Bars. Restaurants and bars must have all workers wear Face Coverings when they are or may be within six (6) feet of another person. In addition, restaurants and bars must require that
all customers wear Face Coverings when not at their table/seat, unless the customer states that an exception applies.
- Religious facilities and facilities owned and operated by the State of Ohio and the Federal Government are exempt from the Order, but are encouraged to follow its mandates.
- Exemptions: This Executive Order does not require Face Coverings for a worker, customer, or patron who:
- Should not wear a Face Covering due to any medical or behavioral condition or disability, including, but not limited to, any person who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious , or incapacitated, or is otherwise unable to put on or remove the face covering without assistance;
- Is under the age of six (6);
- Is actively eating or drinking;
- Is strenuously exercising;
- Is communicating with a hearing impaired person;
- Is giving a speech;
- Is working at home or in a personal vehicle;
- Duration: This order shall be in full force and effect on and after July 20, 2020 and will continue to be in effect until such time as it is superseded by ordinance that may be passed by Youngstown City Council. This order may be modified or extended at any time if the public health conditions warrant such action.
The Ohio Revised Code provides that a failure to adhere to this ORDER by the Mayor in conjunction with the Youngstown Board of Health shall subject the violator to penalties that could include a fine of not more than $100.00.
Jamael Tito Brown
Mayor, Youngstown, Ohio
July 17, 2020