Public Works News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Front Street
September 22, 2023
The decorative concrete crosswalks spanning Market Street are complete. Once fully cured, all north-south lanes of traffic will reopen on Market Street.
Paint markings are now being applied to the bi-directional bike lanes and landscaping improvements continue.
Construction on Front Street, between Vindicator Square and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet: Reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Bi-directional protected bike lanes (south side of street), with landscaped amenity strip separation from eastbound vehicular lane.
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity strip separation from westbound vehicular lane.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.