Clerk of Court Sarah Brown-Clark
Sarah Brown-Clark is a 1971 cum laude graduate of Ohio University with a B.S. degree in English; she also earned her M.A. degree in English from Ohio University in 1972 and earned hours towards a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University. Currently Ms. Brown-Clark is the Clerk of the Youngstown Municipal Court, a position to which she was elected in November 1999. She is retired from Youngstown State University where she was an Associate Professor of English since 1972 and currently has Faculty Emeritus status.
After her election to the office of Youngstown Municipal Clerk of Court in 1999, Sarah Brown-Clark became actively involved in court management. She was elected to a three-year term on the Board of Directors for the National Association for Court Managers in 2001. At the conclusion of her term on the Board in July 2004, she was appointed to serve on the prestigious Professional Development Committee of the organization. In addition, Ms. Brown-Clark served on the American Judges Association and the National Center for State Courts Judicial Education on Substance Abuse Committee as well as the National Center for State Courts Advisory Board for Serving Limited English Proficient Battered Women. In 2006, Ms. Brown-Clark was appointed to the Michigan State University Judicial Administration National Advisory Board. On the state level, she is a past President of the Ohio Association of Municipal Court Clerks and serves on several Supreme Court Committees, among which are the Court Personnel Education and Training Committee in the Judicial College division and the Adhoc Rights Restoration Committee.
Ms. Brown-Clark was the recipient of the Professional Certification Award from the Ohio Association of Municipal Clerks. In addition, she chairs the Education and Certification Committees.
In 2004, Ms. Brown-Clark passed the National Association of Parliamentarians exam and currently serves the as the Central Area Parliamentarian of The Links, Incorporated.
She is a past recipient of the following awards:
- 1990 -Ohio Education Association Holloways Human Relations Award
- 1993 Youngstown State University Women’s Studies Award
- 1998 Youngstown State University Distinguished Professorship Award for Service
- 1999 – Youngstown State University - NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award
- The First Fridays In The Valley “Community Support Award”
- 2002 Buckeye Elks Lodge #73 award for “Excellence in the Community for Governmental Services”
- 2002 Youngstown-Mahoning Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Assistants “Executive of the Year”
- 2004 Omega Psi Phi, Psi Omicron Chapter “Woman of the Year”
- 2006 Ohio Association of Municipal Court Clerks “Outstanding Clerk of the Year”
- 2008 Donald Lockett Post #6488 Trailblazer Award
- 2008 Youngstown State University Black Alumni Distinguished Citizen Award
- 2012 Elected to third term as Youngstown Municipal Clerk of Court
- 2012 Elected to the Ohio Electoral College
- 2017 Recipient of the Elizabeth Powell Award for Government and Community Leadership