Public Works News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Federal Street
November 15, 2023
All paving on West Federal Street, from the Fifth Avenue intersection to Phelps Street, is now complete.
All West Federal Street crosswalk construction is now finished, with the exception of the crosswalks at the Phelps Street intersection. Those crosswalks will be part of the Phelps Street to Champion Street phase of the Federal Street project, set for next year.
Sections of West Federal Street sidewalk remain to be constructed. Traffic signals and streetlights have been installed, but not yet activated. Trees have been planted, but finishing landscaping touches may need to wait for Spring.
The blocks of West Federal Street, from Fifth Avenue to Hazel Street, are open to traffic. The block from Hazel Street to Phelps Street will open soon. Occasional block closures will occur as final project tasks are performed. East Federal Street is open to traffic.
Construction on Federal Street, between Fifth Avenue and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, public transit, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity regions and brick inlays.
- Safety and aesthetic improvement to crosswalks.
- Landscaped medians on each block.
- Replacement of dangerous slant parking with limited parallel parking.
- Addition of several designated loading zones.
- Addition of several designated public transit stops.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.