Public Works News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Commerce Street
February 27, 2023
While major construction on East Commerce Street is mostly finished, work on West Commerce Street continues. Curbs and sidewalks along the north face of the street are nearly complete and similar work on the south face is beginning to take shape. Crosswalk construction is also underway at both the Hazel Street intersection and Phelps Gateway crossing.
Construction on Commerce Street, between Fifth Avenue and East Federal Street, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street), reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Sidewalk improvements (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street), including landscaped amenity strip separations.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Addition of limited parallel parking (Fifth Avenue to North Walnut Street - westbound only).
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.