News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Federal Street
Public Works - April 26, 2023
Construction work is progressing quickly on Federal Street.
The work underway is currently focused on West Federal Street, between Fifth Avenue and Vindicator Square, and East Federal Street, between Champion Street and South Avenue.
Curbs, medians, and much of the sidewalks have been constructed, revealing the new layout of these blocks, and fill dirt is beginning to be applied to median and curb-side landscaping areas.
All blocks of Federal Street that are currently under construction are closed to traffic.
Construction on Federal Street, between Fifth Avenue and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, public transit, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity regions and brick inlays.
- Safety and aesthetic improvement to crosswalks.
- Landscaped medians on each block.
- Replacement of dangerous slant parking with limited parallel parking.
- Addition of several designated loading zones.
- Addition of several designated public transit stops.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.