News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Front Street
Public Works - February 23, 2023
With all concrete work finished, major construction work on West Front Street is now complete. Sidewalks, bike lanes, and designated landscaping areas have been constructed and streetlights have been installed. The installation of landscaping plants and material, signage, and striping remain.
Two way traffic has now resumed on the entire lengths of East and West Front Streets.
Construction on Front Street, between Vindicator Square and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet: Reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Bi-directional protected bike lanes (south side of street), with landscaped amenity strip separation from eastbound vehicular lane.
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity strip separation from westbound vehicular lane.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.