News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Front Street
Public Works - August 2, 2022
The new configuration of Front Street is beginning to take shape.
West of Market Street, new sidewalks, defined landscaping areas, and streetlights have been installed on the north side of West Front Street. In addition, decorative inlaid bricks are being installed at the adjacent corners of the South Phelps Street intersection.
East of Market Street, curbing has now been installed along both sides of the newly-configured East Front Street.
Construction on Front Street, between Vindicator Square and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet: Reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Bi-directional protected bike lanes (south side of street), with landscaped amenity strip separation from eastbound vehicular lane.
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity strip separation from westbound vehicular lane.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.