Bicycling in Youngstown
Bicycling for Transportation
Bicycling for transportation is easy when you pick the right
roads. With this map (click on map at right), expert cyclists have
shared what they know about the most pleasant and useful routes
around the City of Youngstown. They've worked to find a good road
within half a mile of wherever you are, or wherever you'd like to
But not all pleasant roads are rated on this map! Most city
streets are fine for cycling, and you may find many others that are
useful for you. So use this map as a beginning, but explore on your
own. See the sights, meet your neighbors, and enjoy your bike in the
The Youngstown, Ohio Bicycle Transportation Map is courtesy of the Outspokin' Wheelmen and the Youngstown State
University Center for Urban and Regional Studies. Printed maps are available for $2
each at local bicycle shops and at the City of Youngstown Community Planning and Economic Development Office, 20 Federal Place - 6th Floor, 20 West Federal Street, Youngstown.
proposals for bicycle trails in Youngstown are under
consideration. However, while there currently are no dedicated
trails within the city limits, there are several asphalt
"rail-to-trail" paths within a 5 to 20 mile radius of Youngstown,
including four completed segments of the Great Ohio Lake-To-River
Bicycle Safety Tips
Remember: Bicycling is a very safe activity, great for your health and the environment. But it's even safer when done correctly!
Ohio's Bicycle Laws - Condensed version
For complete versions, visit
- § 4501.01. - Bicycles are legally vehicles!
- § 4511.07. - Local ordinances may not prohibit riding bicycles
on the road, and cannot violate uniform rules of the road.
- § 4511.25. - Bicyclists must ride on the right half of the
road, not facing traffic. They are not required to endanger
themselves to let others pass.
- § 4511.27. - Bicycles must pass slower vehicles on the left.
They may not needlessly obstruct passing vehicles.
- § 4511.31. - Motorists may cross a yellow line to pass bikes
or other vehicles traveling less than half the speed limit, if
it is safe to do so.
- § 4511.36. - Bicyclists must make turns from the appropriate
side of their road or lane (i.e. no left turns from the right
edge of the road).
- § 4511.39. - Bicyclists must signal their turns. Signal only
once, and only when you can safely ride with one hand.
- § 4511.40. - Hand signals: "Slowing or stopping" is the hand
and arm down and to the left. "Left turn" is the hand and arm
pointing straight out to the left. "Right turn" is the right arm
pointing straight out to the right, or the left arm extended up
and pointing right.
- § 4511.52. - Bicyclists must follow traffic laws, and can be
ticketed and fined when they don't. Violators may be required to
take a bike safety course.
- § 4511.54. - Bicyclists may not hang on to motor vehicles to
- § 4511.55. - Bicyclists must keep right, but only as far right
as is safe. They may ride away from the edge of the road
whenever necessary for safety - for example, to prevent unsafe
passing in a narrow lane, or to avoid surface hazards, car doors
that may open, or other objects. Bicyclists are permitted to
ride two abreast, but no more than two abreast.
- § 4511.56. - Bikes used at night must have a white headlight,
a red taillight and a red rear reflector, which may be part of
the taillight. Bikes must have an adequate brake.
- § 4511.711. - Local authorities can prohibit sidewalk
City of Youngstown Bicycle Ordinances:
- 303.06 - Bicycles may not be ridden on freeways.
- 371.07 - Bicyclists must yield right of way to pedestrians on
- 373.02 - Ride only on a proper bike seat, and keep at least
one hand on the handlebars.
- 373.08 - Reckless operation of bicycles is prohibited.
- 373.09 - Bikes can't be parked where they interfere with
pedestrian or vehicle traffic.
- 373.10 - Ordinances for motorized bicycles are much more
- 373.13 - Bikes may not be ridden on sidewalks or jogging paths
in Wick Park.
Local Bicycle Shops
Join Youngstown's Bicycle Club. Explore the area with us! Rides
P.O. Box 838
Youngstown, OH 44501
Join the Ohio Bicycle Federation - Your cycling advocacy
organization, working with the legislature for bicyclists' rights in